Senin, 14 Maret 2011

Let's Have A(n Origami) Ball!


Thanks to one Mitsonobu Sonobe, there is such a wonderful thing in the world as a sonobe unit--a parallelogram (such as below)


which you fold from a piece of square paper and which you combine with other sonobe units to build something like this:


Pentakis dodecahedron: requires 30 modules

Or if you have lots of time in your hands, and are up to the challenge, something like this:

A whopping 270-unit sonobe ball

Obviously, the more sonobe units, the more-faceted ball you end up with.  Three modules give you, well, a basic pyramid called Toshie's Jewel (named after Toshie Takahama), while lots and lots of the modules will give you something grand, not to mention a headache.



This sonobe ball of mine is a modestly-sized project: just 12 units, not too few you get bored easily, and not too many you feel overwhelmed by fiber.  I've had this for three years now--taught to me by my then 9 year old cousin.  I prefer using cardboard for the modules for a sturdier ball you can throw around anytime.

 How to fold the sonobe unit?



Sonobesan is not the only guy responsible for modular units.  Check out Robert Neale's and Tomoko Fuse's works too.  This module, for instance, creates a more stellated dodecahedron.


2 komentar:

  1. Hi - I was wondering what kind of cardboard you used for the 12 unit sonobe ball? When I saw the picture I initially thought you'd used a paper bag or kraft paper. Thanks!

    BalasHapus
  2. hey, I'm not the author but to me it looks like the type of cardboard paper you can get from a grocery bag or something medium to thin guage like that. Sorry the author didn't respond to you to clarify what kind of paper they used ~ it's kind of annoying when others create blogs that are supposed to invite people to comment and then never respond to those commenters… anyway I hope that little bit of information helps ~ have a nice day!

    BalasHapus